Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Tuesday's Tip: Buy Glow Sticks

One of the tips that I cannot stress enough to people traveling to Walt Disney World with children is to take glow sticks with them. 

You will notice in any park (Universal included) that when the sun starts to go down that they start rolling out carts of toys that light up. We've been a sucker for it before, we bought a spinning light up Buzz Lightyear. These toys are expensive, they are usually cheaply made, and they go by the wayside quickly at home. They are marketing geniuses though, once one kid has something that lights up, all the others want it too. Kids are mesmerized by all the lights. Another problem with these carts is that they only take cash, who still carries cash?

After we dropped a bucket of money on our light up Buzz, I tried to figure out what I could do for the kids that would be fun but not cost a lot. I decided that year to order some glow sticks, the kind that come in tubes and can be turned into bracelets and necklaces. I ordered a tube of 100 off of eBay, it was much cheaper and the kids had enough to last our entire vacation.

After that I started seeing tubes of them at Target on the dollar rack, so I now buy them there. Most years I buy 2 tubes per child (each tube contains 15 bracelets). The last couple of years they even had extras that we gave kids sitting around us at that time, we love to spread the "pixie dust." The tubes are small and light, they easily fit in our suitcases on the plane and in our backpacks in the parks. 

As soon as I start seeing them at Target every year, I start buying them. You can never have too many! If you can't find them at your local Target, I suggest looking at the dollar store, they have them but you don't get as many in a package. Sadly, this year my 16 year old has said that he doesn't want any. I will buy them for the 13 year old, hopefully she will still use them, if not for herself maybe we can hand them out to kids around us. 

Glow bracelets from Target

Have a magical day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment