Monday, April 11, 2016

Pressed Penny Tubes

Several years ago I started taking quarters and pennies for my kids to make pressed pennies. They really enjoy trying to find different ones but inevitably I am digging in the bottom of my backpack for 2 quarters and a penny for each kid to make one. Instead of that hassle I made these tubes. These tubes should easily fit in pants pockets and the child can make what ever penny they want, when they want to make it. Over the years I have made long tubes and short tubes. But here is a tutorial on  how to make the short tubes.

Each tube was done in a different character. The blue is Ariel, red is Minnie, and green is Pluto. I chose an old fashioned Magic Kingdom map for the orange tube. I loved this old map of MK and it was my computers wallpaper for many months. You can find the map here: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/10/40th-anniversary-commemorative-map-of-magic-kingdom-park/


The labels are found here: http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r132/donatalie/Pressed%20Penny%20Tubes/Large%20Tube%20Labels/ She has loads of choices and even some for laundry tubes. These are designed for the long M & M mini tubes but I purchased the short tubes and had to alter their length on my computer. Most of the people on the blogs make the long tubes. I didn't think they would fit in my kids pockets as easily AND they would be heavier because of the amount of money in the tube.

I know this seems like a lot of quarters to part with. You can either get rolls of quarters at your local bank or do what we did and collect them over time. My kids were eager to sell me their quarters from their Easter Egg Hunt at the G'parents house.

Directions:
      Supplies needed:
         M & M mini tubes
         plain paper
         contact paper
         quarters
         pennies 

       Directions:
Open mini tubes and empty of contents. Pull off the current M&M label, it is glued on but fairly easy to rip off. After selecting the label you want, print it on plain paper. Cut label to desired size for your tube. Glue on the label. After glue is set, I covered my label completely with contact paper. I am hoping this will help it stick better and it will help with water damage in the parks.  After that you start filling your tubes with the following pattern of money: 2 quarters, 1 penny.....2 quarters, 1 penny....2 quarters, 1 penny, until your tube is full. Mine took a total of $9.18 to fill each SHORT tube. This would be a great activity to have little kids help with, they love to play with money.

I've also made the large tubes. The amount of money needed for the long tubes is $15.50 in quarters and $.31 in pennies. I got the labels here (I printed the big tubes with the 3x5 option on my printer thru Picasa and printed the short tubes with wallet size).



Once at the park whenever one of my kids saw a pressed penny machine that they wanted, they had their own money to use and I didn't have to dig through my purse anymore to see if I have change. They make great, inexpensive, souvenirs.  We did purchase a pressed penny book that is available in most Walt Disney World gift shops to keep our pennies in. There are also several places online where you can get a current list of pressed penny machines, we use the one here

One disclaimer, I have heard that some of the machines are being changed to digital machines where you pay with dollars or your credit card and the penny is pressed for you. Not all locations have changed, just be prepared that you might not be able to get everything you want. 

Contact me here if you want to plan your next magical vacation!!

Have a Magical Day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment