Monday, October 31, 2016

What to wear on your Magical Vacation!!

Packing for vacation can be difficult sometimes. What do you take? How many shirts/shorts/pants, etc. Packing for a Disney vacation is in a whole other league of it's own. It's so crazy that people even help you make special packing lists just to go to Walt Disney World. I had a friend once say that she saw these lists and thought you just throw all your Mickey shirts in a bag and go but it can be a little more involved than that. I did a short article here about what to pack, but today we are going to discuss what to wear!




One of the things you need to be aware of is the weather. Is it going to be hot, usually in Florida the answer is yes but it can get chilly there. Is it going to rain? If it's hot make sure you take light, breathable clothes. Even if you love your denim shorts, they probably will be too hot in July. Old Navy makes some fantastic linen shorts that would be perfect for those hot, summer months. If it's rainy make sure you have extra clothes in your suitcase because you are probably going to get wet and you don't want to wear those wet clothes all day and all evening. I recommend a thin jacket or sweatshirt for early mornings or late evenings in the cooler months. It might be warm during the day but the mornings will get chilly (especially October to February). 

Shoes are also a consideration. Make sure they are comfy and broken in. You may love your cheap flip flops but they really don't belong at Walt Disney World. My friends walked holes in theirs because of all the walking. If you are a not a sneaker type person, make sure your sandals are heavy duty and have lots of cushion. I'm not saying  I don't take cheap flip flops because I do but I really only wear them part of a day at the parks or at the pool or to run to the food court for a drink, not from park opening to park closing. I do keep some in my backpack for rides like Splash Mountain at Magic Kingdom or Kali River Rapids at Animal Kingdom, there's not much worse than wet socks and shoes, especially for tired feet. Here are a couple pairs of new sandals that I got for an upcoming trip:


I recently bought these from Amazon. They are super comfy and the strap keeps them on my feet. I highly recommend them!

I also just got these at Amazon. I'm hoping they will keep my feet cool and that the cushion helps with my tired feet. I have been breaking them in with evening walks before my trip. 

Now on to the right clothes to take. First and foremost, take all your Disney shirts!! You don't want to leave any of them at home. Make sure they are well made, comfy, and the right size for you. Tight clothes lead to trouble in hot, sweaty environments! You don't have to take Disney shirts, but where's the fun in that?  Here's a shot at all of my Disney shirts that I'm taking on my next trip:

Here's a breakdown. Top row shirts are all from the Disney Store. The first two were specialty shirts. The last one was not. The first shirt in the bottom row is from the company I work for (Polka Dot Bow Adventures) and the tank top on the bottom right is from Pretty Little Monograms.  You can never own too many Disney shirts!


As I have stated before here, I buy a new package of socks for everyone before we go. Not much feels better than new socks on tired feet. I usually get good, name brand socks at TJ Maxx.



As for entire outfit, I recommend lightweight pants/skirts/shorts/dresses, comfortable shirts, new socks, and comfy shoes. This is an outfit that I am taking on my next trip. Notice the lightweight pants and shirt with comfy shoes and socks. 

Yoga capris are from Old Navy. Shirt is from the Disney Store. Puma socks are from TJ Maxx, and Adidas shoes from Kohl's. Most of these things are over a year old but I'm sure those companies have something similar. 

In my opinion, things to avoid:
1.  Frilly/lacy dresses for little girls. I understand that $60 Cinderella dress is cute and cost you a lot but your little one is going to be hot and miserable all day. Heat + heavy/frilly dress + small child = hot, miserable child and parent!!
2.  Long denim shorts. When these get wet, they get heavy. When they get wet, they take FOREVER to dry. Even if you don't go on water rides, it will more than likely rain on you at least once during your vacation. If you want denim, wear them a little shorter. If you want long shorts, buy khaki or linen.
3.  Super tight/super short shorts. I'm sure it doesn't take a medical doctor to figure this out but tight/short shorts in warm dark places equals nasty bacteria. I don't think I need to spell that out!
4.  Cheap, thin flip flops. Your feet will be too tired to do anything in these. 
5.  Leather pants. Seriously.  I didn't think that I needed to mention something like this but on my last trip I saw 2 women wearing long leather pants in the 87 degree Florida heat. All I can think about is that episode of Friends where Ross buys leather pants, he sweats in them, and then can't get them back on. Don't be a Ross!!

Season 5, episode 11... WATCH IT!!


 By the way, don't forget those Minnie ears!!


As you can see from this picture, I had a sweatshirt on, it was a very chilly day in December!


What do you recommend people wear or avoid on a Disney vacation?

If you want to go on a Magical vacation, please email me here for a free quote. 

Have a Magical Day :)


No comments:

Post a Comment